Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Birthday Poem

Today is my great-grandmother's birthday. Mary Kirby Corbin would be 84 today. She is missed every single day.

The following is a poem I wrote about her while taking a creative writing course at Georgia Southern.


My Granny’s Right Hand
September 24, 2009

Her hand was covered in thousands of tiny wrinkles
With skin as soft as a child’s despite years of work

That hand could perform miracles in my eyes

It helped make hundreds of biscuits
Always baited my hook
And planted flowers for over fifty years

Throughout its life the hand alternated
Darning needles, cigarettes, scrabble pieces

That hand was rarely motionless

Tanned by years of sunlight
It smoothed hair and patted backs
Held babies, kittens, and dishes

Her hand has been still for nearly two years
But the warmth of its touch remains 

No comments:

Post a Comment